My friend turned 60 this weekend

I met Howard at The Griffin Tavern in London in 1988. I was employed there for the summer, and he wandered in and ordered a Jameson's. I served it and with my newfound imitation-British attitude declared, "You must be from the States!" Which, of course, he was. From California. Turns out he was there for a SF 49ers/Miami Dolphins exhibition game.
"Sir, excuse me, but you're bleeding on the bar." He'd cut himself shaving.
He managed to meet Dan Marino and the rest of the Dolphins, as well as the cheerleaders, in a pub in Kensington called the Rose and Crown or something like that. Despite my imitation-British attitude, he asked if I'd like to go to the game with him at Wembley (the old Wembley, not the remodel). He was cool to talk to so I said yes. It was a lot of fun.
It's been 20 years and 4 months since then. He'd been out to visit me in Amherst (when he bought a charcoal grill so we could grill outside), and Albany and Boston, I'd been to his wedding in 1993 with my English friend Dave, then saw him on a visit to see my friend Kim in 2005, and he came to visit last year.
It's nice to have a friend who knew you when, and still knows you now. Happy birthday Howard!

Pics from the last visit.

Howard on his first visit to Fenway. Note the brand new hat.



At Fenway Park


Playing with Randy's toys

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice to see a picture of this man I've heard about for years.

Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Hawaii!!

Never a dull moment!

Shall I begin again?